So here’s a Halloween-themed thing I made because why not. Pretty happy with how it turned out, even if the rendering times were abysmal (so abysmal that I had to limit to 1080p at most).
Had an idea about making something like this yesterday, so.. pretty much just spent the last two days & made it, because why not. Also helped as a good reminder about rendering, materials and compositing. Still had to look up a lot of stuff, naturally, but still.. I think this ain’t that bad.
More sane 1080p versions:
… Because that’s more or less what’s happened to me. All that Blender-enthusiasm? Went away a while ago, and since then, I’ve forgotten most of what I knew. Yay!
Anyway. Time to try & re-learn it again… can’t be worse than replaying videogames I know inside and out by now.
For the initial stuff, just to get back on track, I made a quick joke on Apple’s expense. Cheap shot? Sure. But their marketing really is in a league of their own when it comes to BS-ing folks (e.g., that text blurb? That’s what apple said about the new iPad, verbatim).
Here’s the result of past two days of messing around. Abt 38k tris, no actual rigging yet (animations here are merely object moves on keyframes – I still have to find out how to do armatures and bone rigging). But, before rigging stuff etc, it should be time for texturing it. Which means, gotta start learning about texture baking etc. I suspect that will be “fun” >.>…
Spent the last two days fiddling around a shipdesign that supposedly would fit in the upcoming Star Citizen designstyle.. And, eh, this looks utterly rubbish. The concept is just not working out at all when moved to 3d, and the polycount is also stupidly-high compared to what you get shipwise; a lot of it was wasted on the ‘inside’ of the underslung pilot-space, which doesn’t contribute to looking well at all. Oh well. I think this is a point where I just have to realize it’s not working out, and move on – no need to waste time on something that doesn’t work, anyway.
Time to go back to the drawing board.
Alright. After a downright streak of misery in rendering crashes and misconfigurations, I’ve finally gone through compositing & made a”final” image. Thus, Project finished.
Right. Materials have been made and applied! Big party time.
Thoughts on the material editor: it is very powerful, and complicated as hell. Also, it seems that it is very very easy to get a material that’s a shiney metal with high glossiness. Any other type of materials, that are not flat one-shades but don’t turn into silver-untensil-material, those are hard to make. And, of course, sometimes things just fall flat.